Fly Fishing Quick Reference List
This is a quick basic reference list of equipment you should bring along with you on your trip. That said, we do have high quality rods and reels available for your use at the lodge, as well as sink tips, skagit heads, fly lines, hats and other gear for sale in our pro shop.
- Steelhead and Salmon (except Chinooks): 7 to 9 weight
- Chinooks (Kings): 9 weight or heavier
- Trout and Char: 4 to 6 weight
Note: Both Single handed or Spey (Double Handed) work well
- Steelhead and Salmon: machined aluminum with an exposed rim for palming and holds a minimum 150 yards of 30 pound backing
- Trout and Char: saltwater resistant with an exposed rim for palming and holds a minimum 100 yards of 20 pound backing
- Steelhead and Salmon: Skagit heads for Spey rods and weight forward floating flies for single hand rods.
- Trout and Char: weight forward, full floating fly lines.
- Steelhead and Salmon: Maxima Ultragreen tippet in 15, 20 and 25 lb.
- Steelhead and Salmon: a variety of 10 foot Rio or Airflo sinking tapered leaders.
- Dry Fly Steelhead: 8 to 10 foot tapered steelhead or big game leaders, tapered down to 10 to 15 lb test.
- Trout and Char: 10 to 15 foot tapered leaders, tapered down to 4 to 6 lb test, with a selection of 4 to 8 pound maxima tippet
- Steelhead and Salmon: an assortment of marabou and rabbit leaches sizes 6 to 3/0, prawn style flies sizes 4 to 3/0, popsicle style flies sizes 2 to 3/0, flash flies sizes 4 to 1/0, and any other flies that you think may be effective
- Dry Fly Steelhead an assortment of skating and waking flies in sizes 8 to 2
- Trout and Char salmon fry patterns sizes 10 to 4, egg patterns, leach patterns, assorted nymphs sizes 14 to 6, and assorted dries sizes 16 to 8
Note: You can purchase guide tied flies at the lodge. We highly recommend you use the flies tied by the guides since they have been proven highly effective local patterns.
Additional Equipment Required
- Wading Boots
- Rain Gear
- Fishing Vest
- Warm Clothing
- Thermal Socks
- Line Nippers
- Hook File
- Fly Floatant
- Sun Screen
- Lip Balm